I appreciate your concern for Burbank and the Tonight Show staffers, and I
think at this point in US history all of us know at some level the
devastating impacts of losing a job. Without minimizing that, the move to
NYC will also be a welcome boon to roughly the same number of people, in
the same industry, there. I don't think the impact on Burbank or the
specific staff can be a determining factor for NBC about its strategy.

I am less skeptical than you about the Late Night move to SoCal - I think
it is all but a certainty. Lorne will just exchange producing duties of LN
with the Tonight Show. But I think there are real questions about the
wisdom of the underlying strategy here. I don't think we can say NBC is
clearly being stupid by moving Leno out early in favor of Fallon, but your
suggestion that they are confusing long term strategy with impulsive
desperation is certainly plausible. I was obviously a big critic of NBC's
treatment of Conan, but behind that I have always thought their original
mistake was the initial decision to move Leno out of the Tonight Show
before his time. It does seem odd that one of the few time periods NBC
still rules (are they still ahead in the evening news?) is the one they
seem so determined to screw around with; one might think they would let the
11:35 pm slot take care of itself for a while and devote their long term
programing genius to prime time (or morning). Fallon, unlike Conan, is not
threatening to go anywhere, and it is unlikely that the Winter Olympics is
going to make a big enough difference in the ratings launch for Fallon that
it is worth giving Leno the bum's rush. Let the dude play out his contract
and retire with some dignity at the end of the summer. Is that really so
hard?

Paradoxically (because NBC is doing all of this putatively to
counter=program against him) I think the real winner here is Kimmell. He
will now have LA to himself at 11:35. He has the perfect persona for that
town - snarky enough not to be seen as a sycophant, but savvy enough to
indirectly kiss the right asses - and now hip enough to be a place where
celebs who want to present themselves to the under-40s want to be seen.
Fallon meanwhile will be fighting it out directly with not only Dave, but
Stewart and Colbert too, not to mention the sloppy seconds from the morning
shows, and even a little bit from SNL ( though I guess we will be getting a
lot of cross promotion there). I am about a bizillion times more likely to
watch the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon than I was Jay Leno (because I
just constitutionally can not stomach more than 10 seconds of Leno on that
show), but that does not mean I think this is a good move, either ethically
or strategically.