On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Mark Jeffries <spotligh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Granted, Deadspin isn't the most impartial source, but they claim that a
> three-digit number of employees are being laid off from the Worldwide
> Leader as mandated by Disney, presumably to leverage from higher and more
> rights fees (including grabbing all U.S. Open tennis rights)--the
> technology department seems to be the hardest hit, but it also looks like
> "UNITE," ESPNU's attempt at a hip late-night show is also being affected
> and will be off the air by July:
>
> http://deadspin.com/source-espn-laying-off-hundreds-509043249

I am always eager to take a dump on Disney corporate and management
culture, and to the extent this is an attempt to lay off older and more
expensive workers with younger/cheaper ones this is an appropriate juncture
to take such a dump (and if they are not careful with that they might break
some laws). But it is worth making two points in Disney's favor:

1. Some of what they seem to be cutting is not just fat, but crap (UNITE is
a good example). I don't have a problem with a company deciding they no
longer want to invest lots of money in ventures which may have seemed like
a good idea at one time but no longer are.

2. While high profit margins have become a driving expectation at ESPN, a
source of multiple evils, this is also part of their anticipatory response
to the Fox Sports channel, and ramped up sports cable operations at NBC and
CBS. They have already said that the main advantage Fox has is its live
sports rights, and implied that they would be working to improve their
position in that area - as Mark notes the US Open is part of that. The
problem with the sequence of events is that sports rights are expensive,
which in the case of ESPN means everybody pays; plus the increased
competition drives up the rights fees for everything and everybody else.

My point with #2 is that even in a universe where TV ratings are down, home
entertainment is fracturing and the recovery from a Great Recession is
sluggish, this is signaling that live sports rights fees for TV are going
to increase even more. This is bad news, for cable rates, but also for
sports fans. Probably 75% or more of what is wrong with spectator sports in
this country over the last 40 years or so is a direct or indirect result of
the obscene amounts of money they generate. Fans would enjoy the NBA just
as much if Lebron only made $9M/year instead of $19M, or the Heat were only
worth $310M instead of $625M. Given that there are so many millions of
dollars being generated by the NBA (almost all of it from television
revenue) I don't begrudge the players getting as large a share as possible,
I just wish there was less cash in the system. I had some hope that various
structural changes in the economy and society were going to exert downward
pressure on TV rights fees, and on the cash supply in sports. I see now
that was naive.