On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:17:45 PM UTC-4, Adam Bowie wrote:

> For an example of what I mean compare and contrast the beginning of, say,
> The Daily Show, where an audience has been hyped up and are definitely
> giving Jon Stewart (or John Oliver) a standing ovation as the show starts,
> with perhaps our most popular chat show at the moment, Graham Norton. At
> the end of that show, he has to practically tell the audience to stand up
> to clap along to his end credit music.

Having attended a TDS taping a couple of years back, I have to say I was
pleasantly surprised to see that the warm-up comedian doesn't really do a
ton to hype the audience.  The taping is almost always proceeded by Jon's
Q&A with the audience, and aside from pumping a little Springsteen into the
studio before the VTR rolls, there's little else.  (There's no "HERE COME
CRAIG!" for example.)

I don't know about Colbert's studio audience, but I would expect that
they're encouraged to be rowdy to feed Colbert's character.