I was wondering the same thing, but given the amount of setup required for
that montage - past guests, visits to Charlie Rose/Fallon/AGT, the
Rockettes in their rehearsal studio, Jon Stewart via Skype, HENRY
KISSINGER! - I had assumed it was always the setup for Daft Punk's 'live'
performance. Although...wouldn't they have actually performed "Get Lucky"
in studio?  That'd be kinda redundant.

I actually thought Robin Thicke was an adequate substitute (if, indeed, he
WAS a last-minute substitute), and "Blurred Lines" is actually a really
catchy tune.  That being said, I think I liked this performance better:
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2013/08/jimmy-fallon-robin-thicke-the-roots-sing-blurred-lines-w-classroom-instruments/

As an aside, I always enjoy when Colbert has some fun with the other
NYC-based hosts, my favorite being the three-way rumble with Jon Stewart &
Conan during the last writer's strike.  Sadly, the complete video is lost
to the ages, since NBC has purged any record of Conan from their website.