On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Charles Pierce of Esquire expressed my thoughts much better than I could
>> have.
>>

> http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/hillary-clinton-documentary-093013

I do not agree; I think you could have expressed those thoughts much better
than he did.
I also do not agree with those thoughts.

It is true that Hillary Land reeked of entitlement. And it is also true
that Mark Penn was one of her biggest problems. But I don't think she was
playing not to lose; she was playing to win the general election, thinking
she had to position herself to the center, and in the meantime got
outflanked on her left. The irony is that she is probably further to the
left than Obama is, but she could not and would not take the out on Iraq.

But more to this point, I don't think there is anything about the "new
politics" of the Obama campaign that suggest the thing to do is to give
full access to an independent film maker who is going to release a
documentary about your *before* the presidential campaign. In the new age,
more than ever, campaigns insist on controlling their own message and
presentation. I don't think you would see Obama, or Marco Rubio, giving
anyone 10 hours of video taped interview that a documentarian can cut and
present anyway they want to. I doubt you will ever see anyone with a
serious chance of getting a major party nomination do anything like that in
the foreseeable future. And Hillary, who already has all the name
recognition she needs, needs that less than almost anyone.

I think this was a bad idea for CNN and a bad idea for Hillary.