On Jan 16, 2014, at 1:15 PM, Bob Jersey <bob.in.jer...@juno.com> wrote:

> Russell Johnson, a native of Ashley, PA (right outside Wilkes-Barre), passes
> at his Washington state home at 89, leaving that eternal question of why he
> could make a radio out of a coconut but still couldn't figure out how to fix
> the hole in the Minnow's hull.

He had a stock answer whenever he was asked about the contradiction:  he
claimed the Professor could have fixed the boat at any time, but chose not to,
because on the island he had no serious competition for two attractive women;
back in civilization, the odds were nowhere near as good.

(I saw him live in 1996 at a “Mystery Science Theater 3000” convention; he was
invited as one of the stars of “This Island Earth,” which was the subject of
the riffing in “Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie.”)

--
Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv/>