> On Sep 8, 2014, at 2:24 PM, Doug Eastick <east...@mcd.on.ca> wrote:
>
> M-D made a comment of "perform the show on the day it airs, send it up to the
> satellite"..... which made me wonder.... in the new-age world of fibre, how
> often is satellite used in comparison to fibre nowadays?

I wish I were in a position to offer a better generalized assessment, but all I
can do is tell you what it’s like here in small-market world.  Fibre isn’t
everywhere yet, though it’s getting there.  For us, we still get all
programming via satellite.  The difference now is that it’s almost exclusively
file-based rather than video.  The days of any yahoo with a C-band dish in his
backyard being able to watch the 1600ET feed of “Entertainment Tonight” are
well and truly gone; PitchBlue handles content distribution, both for
programming and national advertising.  Their box downloads the video file,
transcodes it into MPEG4, and hands it off to our playback system along with a
cue sheet to segment it for local insertion.  No tapes, no generation loss,
pure digital from start to finish, but it all still comes down over satellite.

As far as actual live content (i.e. sporting events, etc), that’s definitely
all still satellite.

Me, I’m still trying to get over the fact that satellite for local news
gathering is going the way of the dinosaur and being replaced with cellular
transmitters.