This is by far the best version of the "Colbert is in trouble" article that
I have seen. It lays out some of the real problems (finding his voice, the
overwork, and the still not quite right revisions after the entrance of a
show runner) without the overheated hysterics (the show is profitable for
CBS, Colbert is still in the same position that Dave was, behind NBC but
ahead of ABC).

Since I have been calling for the use of more TCR elements, I was very
happy to see the return of the Colbert Character on Monday, and I hope they
bring back a few other elements regularly. I still like him a low, and
enjoy his show, but I have been disappointed that more often than not there
is not much that is very distinctive or must-see about it - it is mostly a
pleasant hour spent with a likable and intelligent host, which is not
nothing, since there is so little of that in the mass media these days, but
fewer days when I feel the inclination to post something to my FB page that
he said or did, compared to TCR, when it was rare that a week would go by
without at least one thing like that.

I do get the impression that he is taking too literally the idea of "being
himself" and doing a show that appeals to "everyone". I don't want him to
be rude to his guests, or to be narrowly partisan or even political. But he
does better when he has a little bit of an edge, maybe more than he has
been comfortable sharing as his "real" self.