The time to have cared and paid attention to this was last year, when the
rules were agreed to; not now, when they are simply being followed.

I could support a "kiddies Table" debate for minor candidates below a
certain threshold, as the Repubs did.

Keep in mind that if Trump loses this time around, in 4 years we may find
someone like David Duke polling around 9% - do we really want crackpots
like that on the main debate stage? Of course if Trump wins presumably he
will continue to get most of the Duke vote.