Turns out the guy later apologized. But he did it deliberately.

 (CNN) -- CNN's Ed Lavandera was knocked to the ground Wednesday night
after violence erupted in Charlotte, North Carolina, following the
fatal shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.

A protester slammed his shoulder into Lavandera, forcing him to the
ground while live on CNN.

For a second night, protests over the deadly officer-involved shooting
turned violent.

The Scott family says he was killed by police in an apartment parking
lot, reading a book, while waiting for his son to come home from
school. Police say he had a handgun, not a book. Officers were at the
location because they were serving a warrant to another man.

Lavandera returned to report on the protest, providing further details
on the incident.

"I didn't see it coming," the correspondent said. "All I heard was
someone yelling at me that I need to tell the truth and next thing you
know, I got kind of blindsided."

Lavandera told CNN's Don Lemon that he was able to speak to the protester.

"He came up to me and actually hugged me and apologized for what he
had done," Lavandera said. "I asked him what made him so angry. He
couldn't really explain anything."