My wife and I had just arrived in Chicago a few days earlier. I was going
to Northwestern for grad school, and we were staying with a fellow Canadian
expat in his apartment that backed on the El. He woke us up to let us know
what happened and we watched news the rest of the day. At some point we
flipped around and found CBC so gratefully watched Peter Mansbridge report
on something other than "the terrorists came in from Canada!" (They
didn't.)

The City of Chicago evacuated the loop downtown and ran all trains outbound
before shutting down the El. The absence of a train roaring by every 2
minutes in my friend's apartment was uncanny.