After watching the first episode, I don't know that I learned anything I
didn't already know about the organization (I believe that was my review of
an HBO documentary on the same subject a couple years ago). All I can do is
add to the conversation with my own experiences.

To begin with, I was in the room with a very well known science fiction
author as he told the story of standing next to a young, broke, L. Ron
Hubbard the day somebody jokingly said to him, "You should start a church;
you'd never have to pay taxes." After which Hubbard took one of his failed
science fiction novel premises -- that of alien "souls" inhabiting human
bodies -- and Dianetics (and Scientology) was born.

One of my first jobs in Hollywood was as a runner for a small independent
commercial company (that I'm fairly certain was a front for drug smuggling,
but that's neither here nor there) based in the Los Feliz neighborhood
adjacent to Hollywood. As a low-paid flunky, my lunch hours were typically
spent in my car munching whatever fast food didn't have a long line. I'd
usually find a street with some shade and park and eat. One street I liked
happened to be the street leading to the Scientology Celebrity Centre.
Parking, eating, and listening to talk radio, I was approached my two
well-dressed goons who told me to drive away. They were Scientology thugs,
and the street was a public street, so I refused. They came very close to
making it physical when a police car pulled up behind my little Geo Tracker
(I did mention I was low-paid). I wasn't sure what to expect, but the
police turned immediately to the henchmen and said, "We've already talked
to you about harassing people. Go back to your castle and leave this kid
alone."

There are several buildings in Hollywood owned by Scientology... more than
the ones that are labeled as such. I've seen Scientologists walk out of
clearly labeled buildings to other unlabeled buildings and use the same
key-card to gain entrance to both. It would not surprise me to learn the
whole Hollywood & Highland Center (a mall built next to Grauman's Chinese
Theater) is owned by Scientology.

A few years ago I blogged about visiting a different church every Sunday.
One Sunday I chose to head to the big blue Scientology Hollywood
headquarters. In the lobby area was a series of displays about the church,
including a blatant lie (verified by my Kazakh friends) that Scientology
had a large presence in the city of Karaganda, Kazakhstan (a city some
might recall I lived in for six months). I was given a test (Scientology is
big on tests) to determine what areas I needed to work on. I immediately
recognized the test as the Keirsey Temperament Sorter (I've taken it
several times, dating all the way back to high school), a famous
personality profile best known as boiling people down to four-letter
combinations (i.e.-INTJ or ENSP). The Keirsey test isn't designed to make
judgments about people, merely pinpoint key facets such as whether a person
is introverted or extroverted. However, the Scientology snake-oil salesman
who "graded" my test pointed out several problem areas, all of which could
be resolved if I paid for a course or paid for a book.

When it comes to religion, I'm generally a "live and let live" kind of guy.
God has many names, many faces, and many different ways of serving both He
and mankind. Generally speaking, I doubt the average low-paid follower of
Scientology is going to face some of the harsh abuses or manipulations of
the upper-tier "clear" members who rebel, so I'm reluctant to want the
whole thing shut down if it provides some sense of comfort or support for
people. But as with a pedophile Catholic priest, those who flagrantly abuse
the system or their followers need to be stopped, removed from positions of
power, respect, and authority at once. Women can claim Bill Cosby raped
them and the public is inclined to believe them, but countless reports of
physical abuse, sexual abuse, mental abuse, and brainwashing by Scientology
has met with no legal action.

I don't know if Leah Remini's series will affect any change, but if you
somehow aren't aware of how much power and influence Scientology has over
its followers, I'd recommend watching it.

First episode free on iTunes

https://itun.es/us/hSa9fb