Looking at the Wiki page, I recall the incident now that I was referring to
earlier: the Aurora shooting in 2012. Ross reported live that the shooter
was a member of a Tea Party group, but it turned out to be somebody with a
similar name.

My earliest memory of Ross is from his NBC days and his reporting on Wayne
Newton's mob connections. Newton sued for libel and won, but the award was
later reduced and eventually reversed by the court.