I am so friggin' tired of this "Brits have training and Americans don't"
canard that I could spit. The MFA programs over here are every bit the
equal of what's being done at RADA or LAMDA. The accent mesmerizes
Americans into thinking they're somehow smarter and better. Sure, there are
crap American actors (Lawrence being one of them, to bring this around to
someone who's been discussed), but there are just as many crap British
actors. I see actors in San Francisco on a  weekly basis who are doing work
just as good -- or better -- as what I see from London. (This is also
something that drives me crazy about the NY Times. There's groundbreaking
theatrical work being done all over the country -- particularly in Chicago
and Los Angeles -- but if it doesn't happen in New York or London, it
doesn't exist, as far as the national media are concerned.)

As for the sagging ratings for the Oscarcast, I think it's less about the
actors or the films than it is that (if my students are any indicator) "the
kids today" just don't care about it. I ask my class every Monday if anyone
did anything exciting, saw any movies or television shows they liked, and
they almost never have gone to the movies or watched anything (and
certainly nothing on the networks). They didn't watch the Olympics, they
didn't watch the Oscars, and most of them haven't even seen "Black Panther."

I don't know what the model for media consumption is going to be for this
generation, but it's obvious that the old one is (or should be) on life

--Dave Sikula