Well, this is incredibly ironic you could post this question about
encrypted frequencies today because it popped up today in my area. Read
this story.
Link
<http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Storey-County-chase-ends-in-Carson-City-speeds-reach-120-mph-476459903.html>
The guy who was being chased knew about the first set of spike strips set
for him, so they had the Nevada Highway Patrol discuss the second spike
strip set up off the air.
Las Vegas police just went to encrypted frequencies. This was planned
before the October mass shooting.
Part of the problem with going to encrypted frequencies is that other
emergency providers can't monitor the frequency, or can't do it without the
expense and hassle and getting encrypted radios. Firefighters and
ambulances monitor police frequencies, for instance.
Many frequencies are public. You can check it out at
https://www.broadcastify.com and listen in on some frequencies.
There are stringers in just about every market, but I'm not sure how many
have full-blown companies.  Later on in "Shot in the Dark" they go to the
funeral of a stringer in Santa Barbara, which is a tiny market.  Just a
stringer, not a full blown company.
Thank you for agreeing with me about the ending.