I usually like to partly agree and then explain in excruciating detail my
micro disagreements with Kevin, but in this case I just want to say Amen to
every thing he wrote about Maher, and especially the analogy to Miller.

There is a whole discussion to be had about the “New Atheists” (many of
whom sound a bit like the old Nazis), but that would take us too far
afield. But they, like Maher, do often take themselves too seriously, which
is another way of saying they don’t have a sense of humor, which is
basically not good for a comic.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 11:43 PM Kevin M. <drunkbastar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 9:27 PM Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 9:39 PM, Kevin M. <drunkbastar...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Bill Maher molests collies
>>>

>> I honestly wonder what happened to Maher. YouTube recommends his videos
>> to me and I watched a recent monologue. Trump jokes might be stale by now
>> but at least they are easy to do and there are lots of them. Maher's
>> presentation was lousy and the material didn't work. His audience ate it up
>> but it was a very poor monologue.
>>

> His problem is he takes himself too seriously. He focuses more on his
> righteous (in his opinion) indignation and less on being funny. It is
> basically what occurred with Dennis Miller. He was successful because he
> used humor to combat political correctness (or one incarnation of political
> cotrectness), but as both culture and pop culture evolved, Maher dug in his
> heels.
>
>  Religulous was a funny movie that made fun of many beliefs, some of which
> I share — but I still laughed out loud and was not offended by it. But now
> he’s just mean-spirited about people of faith. He and other celebrity “new
> atheists” like Ricky Gervais (not to be confused with atheists in general,
> whose lack of faith I have no problem with and whom have no problem with my
> faith) got nasty, and when people called them out on it, they cried victim.
>
> Honestly, if Maher wants to play the victim, or if he wants to lash out at
> Muslims or Christians or whomever, I wish him all the best. But he cannot
> expect me to laugh at the words coming out of his mouth. I’d like to be
> able to find him funny again. Heck, I’d like to be able to find Dennis
> Miller funny again. But before I can, they have to actually be funny again.
> It’s the difference between an insult comic and someone who is just
> insulting.

> Kevin M. (RPCV)

Sent from Gmail Mobile