On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:06 AM PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> More and more I find myself switching off TLLS episodes on my DVR after
> the Monologue/s, or maybe a third of the way through the first interview,
> especially if the first guest is just a celebrity. Last night’s show was an
> exception.
>
> Nicki Minaj just killed it in her segment. Not just that I found her
> hilarious (though I did) - but she was able to deliver the persona and
> schtick that is her calling card in an organic and smart way. Most often on
> talk shows a celebrity guest with a well defined, sharp persona either
> tries to stay with their character and comes across as forced and hack, or
> they act kind of like sophisticated Jerry Lewis (the least likable form of
> Jerry Lewis) and try to convince us that they are nothing like their
> persona. Minaj delivered what I assume must have been pre-planned bits in a
> spontaneous and effective way, showing how her performing persona is an
> elaboration of who she is. I have never been a huge fan of her act, but she
> started to win me over last night.
>
> She is not the only one of course - I suppose we could make a list of the
> best reliable celebrity guests on late night talk shows (e.g. Steve Martin,
> Martin Short, Amy Sedaris, just to name three of my favorite from the
> Letterman era), but such a list is only meaningful in the context of how
> horrible most guests are. I liked Dave enough to suffer through all but the
> worst guests (three I always clicked off of: “Dr. Phil”, Martha Stewart,
> Donald Trump); I like Colbert enough, but not enough to stay with even half
> of his typical celebrity guests. Fortunately, more than most, he often has
> journalists and politicians and other substantive guests of note.

First a correction: TLLS is the Late Late Show with James Corden. Since you
didn't mention Colbert until near the end the show you were talking about
got confusing. You should use TLS or TLSwSC instead.

I watched the Nicky Minaj segment on YouTube and it's interesting to
contrast it with Janelle Monae who was on TLS a couple of weeks ago. Monae
also has a new album out and she wanted to talk seriously about her art and
the values behind it. It came off a bit dry but I thought that's okay -
Dave would have had either on as a musical act but would not have been
eager to give either panel time.

I gather that it was in the pre-interview that it became clear that Minaj
was a fan of the show and wanted to play rather than just talk about her
album. She and Colbert certainly found chemistry.