The reason the MTV VMAs clicked with viewers was they tapped tapped into
the pop culture aspect of movies that the Oscars can’t or consciously won’t
do. Categories like “best kiss” are never going to win the hearts and minds
of the academy. I think there is genuine cognitive dissonance between what
the actual awards are for versus what the Oscarcast needs to be in order to
get good ratings. It is a question of sacrificing one to serve the other.