Back in the Monty days, it was based totally on how much of a cross-section
of the public was waiting to get in--a mixture of old, young, black, white,
etc.  The costume was often more of a "you won't get on the show"
indication (no men in drag unless the wife was with the man, no clergy
costumes at all).  The producers would just point and say "you, you, you
and you."  They did try to catch the personalities during the Standards and
Practices briefing, while they were filling out the release forms and when
they were in the studio.  There was a number on the floor in front of each
contestant on the "trading floor" and Monty was told before each spot what
number to point to, so it was never as random as it looked on the air.

I"ve heard that the current incarnation now has a costume rental stand for
those who forget to come in costume (something Monty's people would not
want back in the day--in fact, they loved picking the people who weren't in
costume, because they were so few and far between).  They also put on their
Twitter feed what they'll be asking for in the end-of-show "quickie deals,"
which seems to me goes against the whole luck value of those bits--that you
had actually had with you what Monty was asking for.  Also, they do the
"quickie deals" without the credits running and the theme playing, which
added a little more, since "Deal" was the show that never really ended
every day--it just stopped when their time ran out..

Mark Jeffries
Saints Spotlight Editor
spotligh...@gmail.com