On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:39 AM Jon Delfin <jondel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Every now and then, I have an impulse to record the first hour of the CBS
> morning show and calculate how many minutes are spent on news, rather than
> banter, teasers, headlines and  "your day in 90 seconds," and of course
> ads. Fortunately, the impulse passes quickly. But I think "less than 30"
> might be generous. (Some viewers get something from the network at :25 and
> :55 while New Yorkers get a local cut-in, right?)

It is the utter repetition that gets infuriating, though I concede the
shows aren’t designed to be watched start to finish, but stuck in a
hospital, keeping weird hours, it happens.

The worst culprit is ABC, which will have the same guests on both GMA and
Kelly & Ryan, talking about the exact same things, and more often than not
the guest had nothing interesting to talk about in the first place (looking
right at you Chrissie Teigen... if your most interesting story is how to
pronounce your name, you need to live more before appearing on talk shows).

Local Nebraska news misuses “Breaking News,” using it to describe the same
story without updates over several different newscasts and cut-ins.
National news updates aren’t much better.

Megyn Kelly makes Hota & Kathie Lee look good at their jobs by comparison.
Seacrest cannot look good under any circumstances. George Snuffleupagus
looks like a Mormon missionary in a biker bar.

The amount of time each show on each network spent discussing the annual
“Bert & Ernie are gay” story was insane, and the insanity was compounded
when the hosts of all shows concluded that it either didn’t matter or was
just a stupid topic to discuss. Pop culture run amok.