The key thing to know about UK television is that it has to be impartial.
Failure to do so could, in the worst instance, lead a channel to lose its
licence to broadcast. In other words, something like Fox News couldn't
exist. Ironically, we did use to get Fox News on satellite services, but it
was withdrawn at some point because even though there's not as much concern
from a UK regulator about US impartiality, it was getting into deep water
too often, and so got pulled by the then Murdoch-controlled Sky.

That's not to say that there *aren't* argumentative discussions or
programmes on UK news TV shows. There's a weekly show called Question Time
on the BBC which has a panel of politicians and the like, taking audience
questions. I suppose think a weekly town-hall style debate on the issues of
the day. The panel is usually balanced politically, and so is the audience.
But it can become quite aggressive and the audience can get quite partisan.
In point of fact, I avoid watching it because it just doesn't seem to get
anywhere.

Without getting heavily into the mess that is Brexit, we're at an odd place
in British politics in that not only is there the political Left and Right,
but within each of the major parties, there are separate Leave and Remain
factions. And whatever finally happens with the utter mess that is Brexit,
I don't see those differences being quickly patched up.

Both Sky and the BBC have a significant presence around the UK, with camera
crews based all over. The BBC has about 12 regional newsrooms across the
country providing local news, while Sky keeps crews in major cities. There
isn't a reliance on video from partner stations as tends to happen
initially with breaking stories covered by, say, CNN. The BBC also has a
very large number of international news bureaux and while Sky doesn't have
as many, it does have to keep up to an extent. It's also worth noting that
there are separate Sky News operations in the Middle East (in Arabic) and
Australasia. That allows them to share some resource too. The BBC has the
World Service which to you might be Newshour on your local NPR service, but
is actually about 40 different services in various languages globally, and
means that there are sizeable newsrooms in places like Nairobi in Kenya,
and Delhi in India. I suspect that only the big wire services maintain more
bureaux than the BBC globally.

Back to Steve's review of the app. Commercials are usually removed from
these things unless they're selling ads locally. When Fox News was carried
here, we had filler material in place of ads. (It's worth noting that many
ads that are legal in the US would be illegal in the EU - e.g. any for
prescription only medicine). We do get ads on CNN, but they're sold locally
by a CNN International team and tend to be big international brands rather
than local or national ads.

In terms of aspect ratios, I think we all know here that anything apart
from a rectangular horizontal aspect ratio is the work of the devil.
Vertical video is truly awful - try framing two talking heads like that
without being a long way away from the interviewees. And square seems to
add nothing. Last time I checked, my eyes capture a broadly horizontal
regular area, so that's how I like my video framed.

Adam