None of this seems to have any affect on what is still my chief criticism
of all the broadcast news media. They are shuffling people to different
shows and different times of day, but where are the experts on staff? Where
are the news bureaus in major cities and countries? In my ideal world of
rainbows and puppy dogs, the most visible presence on social media of any
news outlet would be its ombudsman. Do network news divisions even have
those anymore?

Ultimately these proposed moves are the equivalent of the metaphorical
shuffling of deck chairs on the Titanic. They don’t want to address the
fundamental problem, specifically broadcast news’ inability to achieve
ratings by actually investigating and reporting on the day’s events. It’s
easier to place personalities and pundits and stars in chairs or on split
screens to opine or to shout talking points.

Sorry if I’m repeating myself, but I have attempted to watch news the last
couple weeks; it had been a while, and wow how the mighty have fallen. I
miss Peter Jennings. I miss Bernie Shaw. I even miss Dan Rather. They
weren’t perfect, but they owned their words and they respected their
audience.