The Oscars are and always have been almost nothing but hype machines, maybe
less so now than at other times in their history.  Of course they are not a
very effective or efficient way for either serious or casual consumers of
popular entertainment to identify the best films or performances of the
year. Every year there are at least as many good or better alternatives not
even nominated, and the winners more often than not are determined by
factors other than actual quality.

It is much more a celebration of middle brow popular culture than
excellence in film making. But I both enjoy and am interested in middle
brow popular culture. I like seeing Tom Hanks and Robert Di Niro, Meryl
Streep and Scarlet Johansson. I also like hearing what the set designers
and make up artists and documentary short directors have to say when they
find themselves with 45 seconds in front of the largest audience in the
world. I love films like 1917 and The Two Popes, and am interested in what
it means culturally when films like Marriage Story and performances like
those given this year by Laura Dern and Jauquin Phoenix, which I found
unremarkable and obnoxiously mannered, become fetishized by a large
consensus of middle brow cultural tastemakers, and what that might say
about the culture, or alternatively about the more mundane dynamics of the
film community, which while so visible and influential is in many respects
like a convention of insurance (or paper) salesmen.  I grew up in Los
Angeles, and while was never part of the film community had friends who
were, and had some sense each year of the minor and sometimes major ebbs
and flows that echo out of the Oscars each year for famous stars (who often
care even more than we might imagine about winning) and minimum wage
staffers on various production crews or talent agencies.

I am never put off by how excessive the fashion, fashionable the politics,
self-congratulatory and indulgent the speeches or long the show, because
that’s what the show is, and if viewers are not into that then they should
just get the winners on Twitter and stop complaining. Which is what
apparently more and more people are doing (well, they still complain even
when they don’t watch the show) hence this thread. But still not enough to
stop this from being the most watched TV show of the year.

I also like that this year I guessed 22 of the 24 winners correctly (Damn
the Koreans!) and won the pool played in by a group of friends and family
every year.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 6:01 AM Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 12:12 AM PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> OTOH, I like the Oscars, haven’t missed it in 50 years. Ratings may have
>> gone down this year, but I thought the Show was above average (the moment
>> when Bong name checked Scorsese was a top ten Highlight Acceptance Speech
>> moment, and Joaquin’s cow rape speech was one of the top ten Bizarre
>> Acceptance Speech moment)
>>

> My antipathy for award shows comes from a resistance I developed to hype.
> In some of my reflective leisure moments I use the infinitive archive of
> the internet to sample shows, movies, and music I decided I had no use for
> when they came out. Often the product was fine but the intensity of the
> hype around it made me resist giving it any real attention. As show
> business recognizes the awards as a marketing opportunity the shows serve
> as hype machines.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAJE-FiH-yAu5r3d9SzujpXGDvngq04f4dtE-%3DBAYNhM1s-whmA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAJE-FiH-yAu5r3d9SzujpXGDvngq04f4dtE-%3DBAYNhM1s-whmA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Sent from Gmail Mobile