Aug 8th 1974, around 9:00pm east... "The Mac Davis Show," whose star was
riding the *Billboard* charts at the time, got its ending cut off when on
came whichever anchor (I'm guessing Reasoner) ready to throw it to the
White House, where President Nixon would shortly announce his resignation.
(I don't recall being able to watch the moon landing live.)

daniel anderson, today (7/23):