He is a genius writer and performer and extremely influential in his narrow
music genre. He's also by most accounts an asshole.

Attendees at a VM concert are lucky recipients of some of the best live
music, but it usually comes with Van using the stage microphone to berate
one or more members of his backup band and crew (for real or imagined
offenses) and sometimes leaving the stage mid-song never to return, or
simply losing his muse and ending his typically expensive concert after
only a dozen or so songs.

He's quirky, and that used to be mysterious and adorable, (even thanking
Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard in his liner notes back when). But as
with many quirky artists, if they last long enough, some begin to wonder if
it is not in part a manifestation of psychological issues. And then the
question inevitably becomes "Can the genius and the ass be separated?"

-Smiths singer Morrissey famously wished Morrison would "end his days in an
M3 pile-up")

-Spike Milligan after meeting Van called him a "pig" and that he was
physically "dirty and scruffy"

-Anne Denvir: "He was always a little shit and he still is."

-And then there's Morrison himself, who has said "I'm not a nice person. I
don't expect anyone to say I'm a nice guy. If somebody says I'm grumpy, I'm
a c***, or whatever, that's okay because I don't profess to be an angel. I
think I'm a loner."

So it may be along these same lines that VM is thinking of Covid-19 as a
personal inconvenience and simply an obstacle to being able to share his
genius (and making money).

But now it may be an issue of not just pissing off his loyal concertgoers,
but also sickening them or killing them