On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 4:06 PM Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv> wrote:

> Dave mentioned Brooke Burns, who hosted GSN's "The Chase" and is now
> hosting GSN's "Master Minds." (The host of ABC's version is Sara Haines,
> probably best known for "The View.")
>
> GSN's other originals are hosted by a variety of people you've never heard
> of (such as Dylan Lane on "Chain Reaction") and people who you may have
> heard of, but aren't capital-letter Game Show Hosts like most of the people
> on Dave's list (Joey Fatone, "Common Knowledge"; John Michael Higgins,
> "America Says").

A few of my in-laws recently appeared on “America Says”; they did not do
well

> Come to think of it, a lot of the people on Dave's list got their start on
> radio... Larry Elder for "Jeopardy!" host?

In the late 1990s, when I was a runner in Hollywood, I quite enjoyed both
Larry Elder and Dennis Prager. Neither were as loud and shouty then as they
are now, nor were they as overtly political. They cared about social
issues, and I often disagreed with both men, but their shows were
entertaining and the hosts had charisma. They were funny and they weren’t
mean… people who disagreed weren’t “the enemy” back then.

When Barack Obama emerged, politics in media turned nasty. I don’t blame
Obama for it, but his rise to prominence was a clear tipping point. There
were always Rush Limbaughs and even Wally Georges (I adored Wally’s TV
show, by the way), but they were the exception, not the rule.

All this is my way of saying Larry Elder was a good host once, and 20 years
ago he might’ve gotten my vote. But now he’s just a bitter, angry old man,
and I have no stomach for that in politics anymore.