A former work colleague of mine left CA to go live in and work for
Celebration, I want to say in early or mid 90s. He became like their
Activities Director (kind of like Julie on the Love Boat). I lost direct
touch with him, but gathered from mutual acquaintances that at some point
Disney was no longer involved.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2022 at 3:59 PM 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <
tvornottv@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> They did, in 2004, and the buyer, Lexin Capital, let the complex go
> practically to sh*t... a 2016 WSJ article, per Wiki
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration,_Florida#Civil_suit> (link),
> reported they were sued to pay for millions in repairs.  Still, a Google
> Street View casing of the area shows the area in relatively good shape.

> PGage, to Kevin M and moi, Feb 16th:
>
>> Disney developed a community in Florida several decades ago -
>> “Celebration”, but it was maybe “Disney-Lite”, and *they may have
>> divested it by now*.
>>
>> This frankly sounds like a nightmare to me, based on my experience with
>> Disney culture at DisneyLand, which back in the 70s and 80s at least was
>> oppressive and controlling in their search for conformity in a way that
>> would make Stepford blush…
>>
>> For the uninitiated, this was Walt’s original vision of EPCOT, a planned
>>> community where people live, work, shop, and commute… the Disney way. Walt
>>> Disney World was intended to be more than a theme park and hotel location…
>>> Walt wanted to redesign contemporary American life. Rumor has it he hated
>>> Florida, but settled on that state because it had the least expensive yet
>>> still desirable real estate. But he died and nearly every aspect of what he
>>> envisioned was shelved.
>>>
>>> I don’t know that a Disney branded (licensed) community in this day and
>>> age will succeed, as the Disney brand itself is muddied and unfocused.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/48faa998-7506-45a9-8e26-4043ee9b6f4cn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/48faa998-7506-45a9-8e26-4043ee9b6f4cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Sent from Gmail Mobile