I'm going support Phil Davis on this one.

I didn't watch all the BAFTAs but watched enough to know that even though
they shook it up this year, and finally, well into an age of socal media,
presented at least some of the awards live on TV, the awards were another
mess this year.

Davis didn't like the Alison Hammond interviews that broke up the awards,
and frankly neither did I.

I don't believe that has anything to do with Hammond's race (and I would
need to see proof to the contrary otherwise that's an unfair suggestion),
or her ability to conduct such interviews, and more that it was completely
out of context with the rest of the show. Hammond is fine as a TV presenter
and I like her in some things. Her day job tends to be as a regular
stand-in on ITV's This Morning, but she's good as a panellist on This Is My
House (surely due a US version at some point). She's generally very
likeable. The problem here is that she conducted fluffy and out of place
interviews that to the viewer looked like they were depriving the award
winners of airtime. Kind of like cutting the halftime pundits in coverage
of a sports event, but doing it while the match is still underway.

That meant that many award winners had their speeches massively cut short
in the TV broadcast version that aired. Essentially the show tried to boil
down a 3-3.5 hour live show into 1.5 hours of near-live TV plus a final 30
minutes live. And they still found room for those interviews.

Everyone is trying to work out what an awards show looks like in 2023. Film
award shows in particular struggle because the "good" films that actually
win the awards are no longer the kind of films that big audiences have
actually seen. Producers like to break up the handing out of gongs with
*something* else to keep viewers watching - be it big name singers
performing, comedy skits or whatever. This year the BAFTAs tried the
mid-show interview slots and it just felt like we were being taken away
from the main show.

Davis has a pretty strong resumé - everything from Quadrophenia to Apple's
Slow Horses. He's not a star, but he's appeared in dozens of British TV
shows and films, so I do think his concerns count. He's won a TV Bafta and
he's directed a few films and TV including Prime Suspect. He's no no-one.

Yes - he was perhaps wrong about Bernard Cribbins, who I've no doubt will
get mentioned in the TV awards, although he did also appear in *dozens* of
films, especially earlier in his career. So it's definitely understandable
why some felt he should have been mentioned. Davis may know Cribbins via
Doctor Who as although they didn't appear in an episode together, Davis
played a character during the period that Cribbins showed up as Catherine
Tate's character's grandfather.

Adam

Adam