At the risk of reiterating my point, most of the articles I've read have
made the same mistake (and so much for The New Yorker's fact-checking,
which I find to be weak at best): "Well, WBD owns all those movies; there
should be no financial issues in showing them, so what's the big deal?,"
and implying that, if the channel were somehow sold or spun off, the titles
(the bulk of which are the Warner Bros., MGM, and RKO libraries) would come
with them.

The problem with that reasoning is that TCM owns next to nothing: they have
their interstitials and some commissions, but that's about it. Everything
-- including the films that WBD owns -- needs to be licensed and paid for.
Add to that the fact that most of TCM's revenue comes from cable fees, and
that those are dropping as people cut their respective cords -- and that's
not much of a business model. Sure, the channel currently turns a modest
profit, but that's not likely to continue indefinitely. Even spinning it
off would be problematic, as FilmStruck wasn't able to make it, and that's
the closest analogy. Zaslav's dream of having celebrities talk about movies
that influenced them would seem to have limited interest or variety.

It's a good thing that Charlie is back -- he's really the heart and soul of
TCM -- but he's got a skeleton crew (there are currently two people running
the festival -- programming and booking films, guests, and venues, not to
mention all the associated logistics) and -- despite Zaslav's apparent love
for the channel -- limited corporate support.

Also, Scott McGee, the #2 guy after Charlie, Tweeted that it was Ben
Mankiewicz who was responsible for putting the phone call from Scorsese and
company, rather than a spontaneous gesture by the directors, so despite
their undoubted love for the channel, I don't know how much long-term
effort they'll be able to out into curation. (If this is true and, coming
from Scott, I'm sure it is, it's the first good thing Ben's done for the
channel, as far as I'm concerned.)

Right now, the channel is programmed through August (I was surprised to
learn how late things are nailed down), so we won't see any tangible
results and after-effects until September at the earliest, but (as much as
the prospect pains me) I can't see how the channel and Festival fare for
more than a year or so. I would think the Cruise will be dead after
November.

--Dave Sikula