Conan O’Brien has stated that in every generation there are maybe five
entertainers who will be celebrated fifty or a hundred years later (and
he’s aware he’s not one of the five)… five being a very generous number.
Art is significant briefly, but rarely does its impact last more than a
generation. The TV shows, books, films, and music that most influenced me
are mostly unheard of by modern youth. I try to introduce some of it in my
classroom (I even read some Harlan Ellison to my students on Halloween),
but I’ve made peace with the fact — despite the infinite nature of the
internet — only a finite amount of culture will be deemed worth preserving
for future generations.

I take comfort that lots of garbage media from the past 20 years or so has
already been forgotten. Heck, when is the last time any of us made a
reference to “According to Jim”?