Sports Illustrated has been a shell of its former self for years. I can’t
remember who said it first, but sports writing is some of the best and some
of the worst journalism. They don’t seem to have the money for good sports
writers and too many recently seem to be fresh college grads.

Sports photography used to be a skilled art. A photojournalist would shoot
a dozen rolls of film at a game in hopes of getting three or four good
shots. The latest mirrorless cameras can shoot 50 and even 120 frames per
second and autofocus has massively improved. For the last decade or so the
problem has been wading through all of the great photos turned in for the
best two or three shots. So great sports photojournalism is everywhere, not
just at the elite publications. Sports Illustrated lost its special place.