I encourage to fortify your stomach and get past the first five minutes.
I’m really digging this show, even though I know little or nothing about
fashion. I have been interested in the complexities of the idea of
collaboration with the Occupier*, and that is really what this series, at
least the first three episodes, is about, though I’m sure I will learn
something about French fashion in later episodes.

*on my first trip to Paris in 2014 a I toured the Normandy sites with a
friend, and we hired a local to drive us around and narrate with added
local history. In long conversations with him he first cryptically then
more openly talked about his grandparents, who had been punished by
neighbors for collaborating with the Nazis, but from his perspective were
just trying to survive, and in their own way were able to help the cause by
slowing things up at strategic times. He turned me on to some books and
articles to read. I have relatives who died in the camps, so am not
inclined to being charitable, but he effectively pointed out it is not a
simple black and white issue.

Sent from Gmail Mobile