I think partly this is a generational thing. The old guys who run WBD
likely don’t understand what it means for young people to watch YouTube. I
confess I don’t really understand it. I often ask my son if he wants to
watch a film or show with me, and he will say no, he is watching YouTube.

I’m like, “but, your mom and I subscribe to pretty much every service out
there, why only watch short clips of stuff? Tell me what you are watching
on YT and we can watch the whole thing on TV.”

He’s like “you don’t get it. I only want to watch short clips. And most of
the clips I watch are not from shows on television, they are of stuff the
people just post.”

The people at Max, like me, assume young folks are desperately watching
short clips of Jon Oliver for free on YT, wishing they could afford to oat
for Max to watch the whole show. But the vast majority of those folks
either have access to and don’t watch, or don’t want, HBO. They actually
prefer short clips, and a process that identifies the clips other people
will be watching and talking about specifically so they don’t have to watch
the whole show. Actually paying $15 a month (or whatever it is) to watch
the boring parts nobody is talking about seems both stupid and painful.

Sent from Gmail Mobile