Am Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 13:48:12 schrieb exar...@twistedmatrix.com:
> On 3 Oct, 11:09 pm, wolfgang....@rohdewald.de wrote:
> >I now have a local git branch with about 70 commits, always
> >rebased onto current trunk.
>
> It makes me sad to learn you're carrying so many patches to Twisted.  It
> might be useful to the project if you could share why this development
> was easier to do outside the tree rather than contributing it to the
> project as you developed it.

This is just my personal style of development. A bit chaotic. Sometimes
trial and error. And really a lot of git rebase -i. Whenever I find
some necessary or helpful change that could be done before porting,
put that at the top of the patch list and readjust everything.
The methodic part comes last: Look at what I changed, rethink why that
is really needed, and look for similar places I overlooked. Then generate
tickets for things that seem ready.

BTW what about Ticket 7628, news extension "port"? I could soon start
feeding porting tickets but if this extension is useful, I guess it
should be applied first.

> I think that before the Twisted project wants to call a particular
> module ported, we want it to have test coverage that can run on Python
> 3.

I was afraid you'd say that.
https://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/Plan/Python3 does not explicitly
say so, maybe this should be changed. I can do that, but then I
have no write permission for the wiki.

> I'll let other people volunteer projects they know of - but I strongly
> suspect there are few or no such applications.

That makes me wonder if I really should have used PB at all. But
now I do and have no plans to change that.

> Again, it seems unfortunate that you have all of this work ...
> somewhere.  Somewhere only you  (as far as I can tell) can see it.
> Somewhere only you can test it.  Somewhere only you can work on it and
> get it contributed to Twisted.

I believe I saw some mailing list posts where many years ago somebody
said he has spread running with PY3 but as it seems nothing of that
got into trunk. Be assured that I want to avoid that.

What is the preferred place for Twisted public repositories?
No svn please, only git.

But first I want to do some more cleaning and reshuffling, I cannot
really do that anymore with commits already pushed to a public
repository. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks.

--
Wolfgang