Btw everybody, I've just added an issue for the issue describe in this
thread from last week.

Essentially, /users/show on protected profiles should also include
friends_count (or following_count).  It already includes
followers_count.

http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=167

Thanks,
-damon