Oops, sorry for the lack of detail. Here is the body of the
postTwitter method (as i said, I'm able to post to other twitter URLs
within the API with this same piece of code):

def postTwitter(url, hashParams)
  url = URI.parse(url)

  req = Net::HTTP::Post.new(url.path)
  req.basic_auth($username, $password)
  req.set_form_data(hashParams, ';')

  res = Net::HTTP.new($twitter, $twitPort).start {|http| http.request
(req) }
  puts res

  case res
  when Net::HTTPSuccess, Net::HTTPRedirection
    return 'true'
  else
    return 'false'
  end