Versioning is a major part of the design of the next version of the
Twitter API (a rewrite, essentially).  We know it's been long since
missing from the API, and we're eager to fix that.  Making life hard
for developers definitely isn't our goal.

--
Alex Payne - API Lead, Twitter, Inc.
http://twitter.com/al3x