Alex Payne wrote:
> Getting worked up into hysterics about boycotts is just, as security
> expert Bruce Schenier is fond of saying, "security theater". It's the
> equivalent of an apartment building's tenants telling their landlord
> they refuse to use keys because someone's place got broken into.

Ah, but what people _should_ refuse to do is give out copies of their
keys to those who are essentially complete strangers just to water their
houseplants or feed their cat while on vacation.

You should only give your key to someone trusted who then acts on behalf
of the stranger to let them in, watch them water the plants or feed the
cat, then ensure they exit your apartment without doing anything else.

Yes, tenants should tell their landlord that having to give out a copy
of their key is not acceptable, especially when the break-ins occured
using a copied key that was handed out.

Still, why do we care?  It's just a Twitter account being compromised -
what, do you exchange trade secrets in DMs that you wouldn't want
someone else to read?  Hint: Twitter isn't a confidential and secure
messaging transport.  Don't try to pretend it is.

--
Dossy Shiobara              | do...@panoptic.com | http://dossy.org/