No they didn't, Google is just using the Twitter API like everyone
else.  Google asks for your twitter name and password, which IMO is
flirting with "doing-evil".

I think that making Twitter an OpenID provider is going too far, I
would rather see Twitter be a Relying Party.  Having a reliable and
secure OpenID, then associating your twitter username and other
details to it is the best option, IMO.  It would be nice if the OpenID
providers stored this info and passed it along automatically to other
RPs.

Also, people can change their twitter name, so it couldn't be in the
OpenID.  They would have to do a yahoo-ish implementation.