We're going to be offering exactly that (a long-polling firehose) to
select partners to build on. Please see our FAQ for more information.

Providing a realtime solution for the rest of the API is a lot more
challenging than just hooking up XMPP. If the technology was there,
we'd do it. But we've investigated and benchmarked, and it isn't. We
also want to provide something with a lower barrier to entry when
we're ready to go down that road.

We understand that power users are very excited about "realtime", but
the majority of users and developers are still getting up to speed
with Twitter's basic offerings. Accordingly, that's where our energies
are at right now.