Hi,
This service isn't currently offered in the API. For a number of
reasons, such as permitted username changes, account deletions, and
the like, this turns out to be a very tricky problem to solve on your
own.

How would you use this method? Since users still have to go through
the Twitter.com registration workflow, aren't they already given a
chance to fumble around and find an available username during the
process?

Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw