I run a site which tracks who's added a user to their friendslist on
LiveJournal (and allows you to draw charts and graphs of the
information when it's gathered over time).  Two of my users in the
last week have asked whether it's possible to extend it to track who's
following them on Twitter.

Here's the problem, though: the useful information to track in this
case is in .../statuses/followers/username.format, because people know
who they've started and stopped following, but they want to keep a
list of who starts and stops following them.  However, this is
restricted only to people who authenticate as that user.  Why is this,
when .../statuses/friends/username.format is public information?  Is
this ever likely to change?

(I suppose I could solve their problem by basically turning the site
into a Twitter client and allowing each of them to store login
information for their Twitter account, but it seems a rather baroque
solution.)

Thomas