If all you guys are looking for is a list of followers or friends,
have you tried using the new social calls for friends and followers:

http://twitter.com/followers/ids.xml?user_id=######
http://twitter.com/friends/ids.xml?user_id=#####

You can also use these calls with screen_name using screen_name=name
at the end.

http://apiwiki.twitter.com/REST+API+Documentation#SocialGraphMethods

Hopefully that will help.