It's probably a cache issue.  However, I don't know how many
seconds/minutes it takes to update the count.

You could run a test like so:

store users/show/friends_count as x
friendships/destroy to remove one
y = x
loop until y is < x
  get users/show/friends_count as y
end

I'd be curious to know how long it takes.

Another option (but I assume these are cached too) is to call the
social graph method for friends/ids/youruser.xml and check the # of
ids returned.

-damon

--
http://twitter.com/damon