is this issue dead? I've been thinking about it - comments... anyone?

1) "Not" auto-rewriting URLs on input leaves the system susceptible to
various gregarious manipulation. It's currently trivial to get 10,000
visitors a day to click out of twitter and potentially up to 100,000 a
day - fictional scenario: tweeter's rival gang twanker bugs the system
in order to show their flag to tweeter's posse.

BUT,

2) with auto-rewriting URLs on input:

        a) ruins applications that operate as "link sites" - or at least
makes them incredibly boring.

        b) dings the traffic (potentially big ding) to existing url shorter
apps.

        c) provides a mechanism to monitor and control off-site traffic.

        d) makes the twitter data far less interesting to outside parsing
apps.

have a great day.

waitman