The API is stateless and requires polling. We do not offer any sort of
trigger or push based alerts. Therefore, your application will either have
to use the Search API or REST API to monitor a search term or account,
respectively, then act on it accordingly.

Thanks,
Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw