For performance reasons, we cache each status object and construct the
timeline from these cached objects at request-time. Therefore, complete user
objects are returned with each status in a timeline.

If you have a project that is bandwidth constrained, you should set up a
proxy that strips unnecessary fields before forwarding the data to the edge
device.

Doug Williams
Twitter API Support
http://twitter.com/dougw