We're in the process of implementing twitter auth into a service that
already supports OpenID.  As such, we are using a URL as the user
identifier, which is the standard idiom in the OpenID world.  Since a
user can change their screen name, the twitter profile URL is not
reliable for use in authentication and we must use the id field.  Does
there currently exist a URL on twitter which will accept a user_id as
the parameter and redirect to the user's (current) profile page?

For example, using Doug W's user_id (1401881) and screen name (dougw)
as an example, does there exist a URL on twitter such that
http://twitter.com/users/profile?user_id=1401881 redirects to
http://twitter.com/dougw?

If not, would you be willing to add such a feature?

Thanks,
Brian Ellin (@brianellin)
http://rpxnow.com/