I'm not entirely sure but this may be somewhat my "fault".  Yesterday
I noticed two different tweets in the public timeline that were
attached to protected accounts.  I don't think they were an effect of
the accounts going from public->private since I caught them right
after they showed up and saw the accounts were protected.  I emailed
Twitter at 4:36pm and then another one at 5:16pm (EST).  That *may* be
the reason.

That said, I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing that the public
timeline was frozen.  I thought I was crazy for a while yesterday and
then started looking at other options (none of which have worked out
that well).

Sanjay