Joseph, I was told Twitter has no intentions of making this any
easier.  Right now we're just having to split it across multiple
servers and poll regularly.  It's very expensive and inefficient, but
that's the only way to do it for now.
 I would certainly love to reduce the load though if Twitter were to provide
a way.
@Jesse